Jun 27, 2007

How I became an Apple fan - Part 1

I am a Mac user since late 2003 when I purchased a 12" PowerBook G4 1GHz at Apple.com for my conference need. The reason I considered Apple was that a realtor showed me the expose when he tried to find one of the listings. It was really the "wow" factor that hooked me into Mac.

I was quite satisfied with the elegant hardware design of 12" PB and the brilliant interface of OSX 10.3. I started to browse through MacWorld, VersionTracker, etc. to find every useful free utility software. And also bought Office 2004I subscribed to MacWorld and MacAddict (after a while I found there is no need to subscribe as MacWorld put ALL their stuff online). I put 768MB RAM in it, and even swapped the hard drive to a 7200rpm 80GB one, and boy, that was really a lap burner!

I soon felt that 1024x768 is just not enough, even with virtual desktop. I was lucky enough to find a local buddy selling his 17" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 1440x900 res. I bought it within a snap and maxed out 1.5GB RAM.

17" is really an eye candy. I loved the screen and the backlit keyboard. The
only downside was the weight. Though 6.9lb is a lightweight compared to DELLs and HPs, it's still too much for me to carry on a daily basis.

To be able to run Windows software for my job need, I bought Virtual PC for Mac. And you know what, it could not be any slower! Running Intel emulation on a PowerPC G4 is a torture to your patience. Needless to mention any possibility of 3D capability.

I was so desperate to run Windows on a Mac, so I found an used PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz with 2GB RAM on ebay. G5 is way faster than pathetic G4. However, it's hot and noisy. I hooked it up with a DELL 2005FPW 20" widescreen monitor, and had it doing the encoding stuff and all other CPU intense jobs. Oh did I mention it's still slow in Windows?

I think it was around mid 2005 when Apple said they were going to increase the pixels for PowerBook. I sold my 17" PB within a week. Later on I bought an PC notebook (Turion 2.2GHz w/ XP x64) for my conference in late 2005. Oh god, please forgive me, I bought a PC laptop. Almost all my project collaborators have a Mac laptop. I can still remember the sniff look on one of my collaborators face.
I felt like I betrayed them. I told them I still miss my PB (and I meant it).

Ok here comes another bomb to force me sell my PowerMac. Yes! Intel transition!! I was so excited to know that I can probably run Windows natively. Yet I was afraid the G5 will depreciate soon. As a loyal MacRumors reader, I timed to sell my G5 a month before MacPro was announced.

I backed up all my iPhotos and iTunes, etc. Now I am Mac-free (oh did I mention that I gave the 12" PB to my wife but sold it later because she liked the 10.6" Sony VAIO T series better). I know it's the dark age, and I am still waiting for the Intel Sun to rise from the horizon and light up the upcoming Apple laptops......

No comments: