Jun 27, 2007

iPhone or E61i?

When I saw Steve Jobs introducing iPhone back in January, I knew there will be an upcoming revolution in mobile phone industry. I was also pissed because it's tied to AT&T but I am a Zeta-Jones fan. I just cannot wait to have my T-Mobile contract end next summer. $200 per line for early cancellation?! Screw it!

I have heard almost everything about iPhone. The intro on Apple.com, David Pogue's review, etc. Regarding to hardware and software, I was disappointed to see no flash support, no java, no GPS, no swappable sim card, no comsumer replaceable battery. I really like the 480x320 screen and all the novelty behind this: one handheld fits all. This is what I need! I have carried PDA and cell phone together like a crazy tech freak, until Treo 650 saved my day. And now I only need to carry PDA phone and iPod until iPhone appears.

I am not a ear bud music listener. I hate headphones, they give me headache. I have my iPod mini installed on car all the time. So I don't really need to have a mobile phone that plays music. However, calendar and contact sync are very important to me, and I really need to have a event notification that allow me to snooze to whenever I want.

Treo 650 is a very good PDA phone. I like it a lot. Since I switched out of Sprint after my dropped-a-million-times Treo lost its antenna, I looked for a phone that can sync with OSX isync, not Windows Mobile, and small in size (yes Treo is huge). I ended up with Motorola PEBL, and it really sucks. Why? Because the stupid event reminder does not let me SNOOZE!!! Even worse, I have to set the alarm clock to "on" EVERYDAY!!! What were they thinking, Moto??!! Decided not to let the moto screw my schedule, I went on and found another PDA phone: Nokia E61i.

There are good reviews regarding E61i. They sell it for $400 unlocked and has video recording, flash and java support, 3G (though not working in USA), and some 3rd party software, which are lacked in the version 1.0 iPhone. And it can do isync! The 320x240 screen sounds really screwed but we'll see. I really hope to have it bridge the gap until next summer when I can kick goodbye to Catherine and embrace a refined version of iPhone.


I will receive my Nokia E61i today and post some comment later on.

Maybe the title should be "E61i, ......for one year, and iPhone"

Oh and my prediction for iPhone is:
It will sell very well. And watch how the AAPL stock will fly, how many percent more Apple will grab the computer market and internet browser market because of this revolutionary device. iPhone is really a dream come true that is backed by elaborate hard work. The mobile phone industry was just sleeping for too long.

Here comes the revolution!

No comments: